The American Harvester Cider Mill and Wine Press is a combination of the best features found in different mills and presses manufactured around the turn of the 20th century. By the early 1900s, the double-tub model cider mill was by far the most popular. The rugged 4-leg construction utilizing good hard wood and large amounts of cast iron make this unit appealing to farmers and orchards, as well as individual households. It is designed to last a lifetime and beyond. A perfect Hand-Me-Down.
The American Harvester mill has an advantage in design that allows both the grinding and squeezing to take place at the same time. Also, the “Apple Eater” grinding unit on the American Harvester reduces apples to a “pulp like” consistency which allows a more efficient “press”.In short, the American Harvester will produce the most cider from the least amount of apples in the shortest amount of time… better than any hand operated unit on the market!Our experience shows that two people working at a comfortable pace can easily grind and squeeze 50 gallons of cider in an afternoon.!
SPECIAL FEATURE ! The “Apple Eater” grinder on the American Harvester grinds whole apples with ease. You do not have to slice or push them down!
- FRAME: The four leg construction is of rugged laminated hardwood. All joints are dadoed and cross-bolted for full structural rigidity.
- WOOD FINISH: ALL PRESSES COME UNFINISHED! You will need to protect it with varnish, lacquer, or EZ-DO Polyurethane Gel.
- SCREW: The Acme-threaded press screw is solid 1 1/2″ in diameter, 22″ long, and passes through a heavy cast iron cross-arm. Pressure is applied to a reinforced pressing-disc which fits inside the tub. Attached to the bottom of the screw is a cast iron foot which distributes the pressure to the pressing-disc. It is suggested that you apply a small amount of lubricant to the screw as well as the inside the pressure foot. See our Petro-Gel Lubricant.
- TUBS: The two hardwood tub have beveled staves for easy cleaning, are 12” high, 13 1/2” in diameter, and is banded with heavy steel hoops. The capacity of each tub is equivalent to a box of “pulped” apples. Two juice racks, which allows for the easy flow of juice, included with each American Harvester.
- GRINDER: The 5 1/2″ diameter cylinder has 8 serrated stainless steel knives which are designed to allow the seeds and stem to pass without grinding. A specially designed cast iron grinding box. Operation is made smooth, fast and easy by the use of an 18 lb. cast iron flywheel attached to the grinding shaft. Once moving it takes little effort to maintain a smooth grinding speed.
Finished Dimensions & Weight:
- Width (across the front): 31”
- Length (tray): 36”
- Height (floor to top of Acme Screw in the down position): 40”
- Weight: 180 lbs
You can obtain a Brass Nameplate for FREE when ordering this complete press! Complete the form above. (Suggestion: Name on line 1 and date on line 2) Be advised that 20 characters per line (30 Max) including spaces will give you the best look with our engraving.